When you send out an email campaign, you want to do anything possible to achieve your goal of the campaign. In some cases you want to create different email campaigns to measure which one helps best to achieve your goals. Therefore the email campaigns has the A/B test feature which gives you the opportunity to sent out different emails to a test group and after a certain time the rest of the audience gets the best performing mail! In this article a short and brief description and the to follow steps are explained.
To start a A/B test campaign, you have to start a new newsletter campaign and select the Campaign with A/B-testing.
Next you’ll get in the A/B testing menu. In this menu you can do the following.
- You can name the Campaign.
- Add the address list to who you want to send your campaign.
- It is possible to schedule the campaign, the date and time can be set in the input box on the right.
- Add tags.
- In the Variations menu you can add, edit and delete variations. To add a variation you can click on the + in the right hand corner of a Variation tile. If a variation tile is coloured as tile A, it is an active variation, if it is transparent it is not active yet. You can select variations A until F, if you add a variation, you can select to create a new test variation or to duplicate the already existing variations and edit them. When you add or edit a variation, you’ll come into the normal campaign editor menu.
- In the A/B testing menu, you can select the various ways to determine the winner of the test variations. Click rate, is the percentage of people that clicked on the mail. Open rate, is the percentage of how many people opened the mail. Click through rate, is the percentage of people that clicked on your links in the campaign.
- In the test group percentage slider, you can select how many people you want to send out the test variation to. The others get the mail after the period you select by the Determine winner after slider.
In this case, 10% of the people in the address list gets the different variations, after 4 hours the winning variation that has the highest Click rate will be sent to the other 90% of the people in the address list.
8. With this switch you can set Google Analytics tracking on or off.
If everything is filled in, you can send or schedule the A/B testing. In the meantime you can save the campaign as a draft.
Questions? Reach out to your dedicated Data Consultant for help!