If you host an event sometimes you want to inform your crowd just before the event started. This can be with some additional information, or just to wish them to enjoy the event. You can automate this within the Customer Data Platform and email campaigns.
First the article explains how to design the automation workflow. In the second part the triggered email design will be explained. You will do this with in the Customer Data Platform. You can access the Customer Data Platform from within the CM platform via the 9 dots.
- When you are in the Customer Data Platform, you have to go to the Workflows page in the left menu.
- Here you can see your already designed workflows, if you want to see or adjust the workflow just click on it and you will get in the editor.
- Here you can see how many times the workflow editor is activated.
- Here you can see if the workflow is still active, when pressing on the play button you can pause the workflow or reactivate it.
- Here you can choose to edit the Workflow with the Add in editor function or the click and select function.
- Here you can add a new workflow, you can choose for the click and select option or the Drag and Drop option. In this example we choose to design the workflow for a birthday in the Drag and Drop (add in editor) screen.
When you add or edit a workflow with the add-in-editor, you have to drag and drop the following triggers to automate the workflow.
- We start with the Event added trigger with this trigger you start the workflow when an event is added. When you click on the Event added trigger box you can select an event in the right menu. In this case this is the Event of your Event. The start time and the date of the event must be registered of this event and have a property in the Customer Data Platform or registered with CM Tickets.
- The second step is the Wait until step, you use this step if you want to wait before or after the trigger gets activated. We use it in this case to wait 3 hours before the event starts. When you click on the wait until step box the menu in the right opens.
- Important: In here you select the property which contains the date and time of the event. If your event tickets are sold with CM Tickets, than you can setup the Start date in that application. If not make sure that you use an ISO8601data dateformat. Which contains the following date format: YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm. The time of this property must be defined at the date property in the Customer Data Platform, otherwise it will automatically will be seen as UTC time.
- With this checkbox you can specify the Wait until step check this box to setup the following steps.
- Here you can select the duration of the Wait until step.
- Here you select the unit of the Wait until step this can be hour(s) or day(s).
- In this field you have to say if the step must count before the event or after the event. In this case we want to sent the email before the event, that’s why we select before. In the case if you want to sent a thank you message after the event is ended, you can select after.
- The next step is to select the Email step this step sent a triggered email when activated. In the menu in the right you have to select the email property which contains the Email address. In the menu you also have to select the designed triggered campaign which you designed in the Email campaigns application. The explanation for this can be found below.
- When you setup the trigger and Email step right, you have to connect them. You do this with dragging a dotted line from the lower blue dot of the trigger to the upper blue dot of the step.
To finalize the workflow you have to set up the workflow settings. This will menu will open when you deselect the triggers or events.
- With this switch you activate your Workflow. Always make sure this switch is on, otherwise the workflow will not do anything.
- In this field you can adjust the name of the Workflow.
- With this field you can set-up a goal for the workflow. In this case it is not necessary to have a goal, so the switch is off.
- To finalize the Workflow you can save it with Save button.
In the part below an explanation of how to design a triggered email campaigns can be found. You can do this in the Email campaigns application which can be accessed within the 9 dots menu.
- When you are in the Campaigns app you have to go to Triggered via the left menu.
- This is the name of your triggered campaign.
- This is menu of the email campaign editor. You first come in the Campaign Settings: here you setup your email campaign as described below. Design: Here you design and customize your email campaigns, you can do this with an easy Drag-and-Drop system as explained later. ! Text version: here you make a link to a page to view the mail in the browser. Advanced: here you can select to track and how to track your email Campaign, to get certain statistics.
- Here you can edit the name of your campaign.
- This is the subject of your email campaign, and this will be the subject which your customers will see in their inbox.
- Here you can select the Sender mail address.
- Here you can fill in the name of the Sender.
- (Optional) If you want to measure your click through rate of your campaign, you can use Click through links, and measure them with Tags. Here you can add new ones.
- (Optional) If you have already made a template for this campaign, than here you can select it. If not you can design your own email at Design.
- Here you can activate or deactivate your campaign.
- In this box you have to write a preview text, which they will see in their inbox.
- (Optional) If you want to personalize your Email campaign, you can select here Merge tags. This will responded to the Customer Data Platform. In this example is chosen for Firstname, but you can select as many Merge Tags as you want.
- When you have your campaign settings right and did not select a template or you want to edit the template. You can go through the Menu to Design.
- This is the design menu, in here you can select the different features to optimize your email campaign. You have almost all the freedom to design it as you want to. In the Content tab you can select the different features your email campaign should contain. Below is more explanation about the content all the content features are optional and not required. In the rows tab you can select the different lay-outs of the design. In the Settings tab you can select some general settings for the complete mail, such as background colour. In the steps below the different content features are explained.
- Textbox: with this content feature you can write as much as you want in your email campaign. Here you can also personalize the message with for example the firstname. In our example of sending a birthday message, we wish the recipient a happy birthday.
- Image: Here you can insert an image in your email campaign. In this example we use a CM.com logo, but you can upload every picture you want here. When uploaded it is also possible to enlarge the picture or a link to a website if you click on the image.
- Button: The button can be used for certain actions such as: open web page, send email, make call and send sms. In the example it is used to go to the website with a birthday present for the recipient. With a button you can also measure the click through rate, as you want to know if your campaign is successfully or not.
- Divider: With the divider you create some space between the different content features. In this example it is a line, but you can also create a blank space or a dotted line.
- Social: With the social you can link your audience to your social media channels. In this example we use the four biggest social media platforms. You can also link other or custom channels.
- HTML: It is also possible to insert a HTML content part. Please be aware only use this if you experienced with HTML programming. In this example this feature is not used.
- Video: In the mail it is also possible to send a video within it. You can easy insert a YouTube or Vimeo link. In the example we send a video message with happy birthday.
- Before you close the page always save your campaign with the save button. Please ensure that you give your campaign at least a name at the Campaign settings so you can recognize it.
Questions? Reach out to your dedicated Data Consultant for help!