After reading this article you'll know the difference between a regular & triggered campaign and for what reason you can use it.
Who can it help?
Campaigns - Difference between regular & triggered campaigns
Regular campaigns are campaigns that are sent straight away to a group of recipients. Triggered campaigns are a bit different, they are like long running campaigns and is only sent to a single recipient when a trigger (an event in the customer data platform) happens. So triggered campaigns are always connected to a workflow in the Customer Data Platform. A regular campaign is connected to an adresslist from the addressbook. That addresslist can be created by a segment in the CDP or a manual upload in adressbook.
When to use REGULAR campaigns?
- If you want to send a campaign to a specific group of recipients all at once
- If you want to send a campaign to a specific group at a specific time (scheduled)
Note: If you use a segment of recipients synced from the Customer Data Platform, good to know the segment will always be real time counted. So if you have scheduled a campaign today for sending tomorrow, the adrress book of tomorrow will be used (always up to date on the moment of sending).
When to use triggered campaigns?
- You should use a triggered campaign when you don't want to send to a group of recipients all at once, but only want to send it to specific recipients when a certain event trigger occurs. For example: you want to send a message as reminder for some ones appointment at your company. You only want to send it to this specific person when he/she requested a password reset.
Where to create a regular campaign and where to create a triggered campaign?
When opening the Campaigns app and clicking on the bleu Plus sign, you can choose between a "regular" and "triggered' campaign.
- In the section 'regular' you can create regular campaigns. You can directly send the campaign to a group participants you've uploaded in address book or to a segment which you've synced from the customer data platform.
- in the section 'triggered' you can create triggered campaigns. However, you need to create a workflow in the customer data platform to connect the triggered campaign triggering on a specific event or segment.